Sunday, March 11, 2007

Cat constipation?

Poor Meow. I feel bad writing about him like this - I'm sure its embarrassing. Well, it seems the poor guy might be a little constipated, and I'm starting to get a little worried.

He still "goes" each day as usual, but it seem that there is such effort needed for him to do it. He runs around like a nut meowing for a few minutes beforehand, which tells everyone to "Clear out of the bathroom!"

Without going into the gory details of the process,he just seems to strain beyond what I would consider normal. I'm worried that he'll stop going to avoid the obvious discomfort, and then we'll have a serious problem.

What to do? Well, for one, Meow was never a fan of wet food. So, we're trying to find some food that he will enjoy and eat. People are telling me it will help to soften his stool.

We've also been giving him Petromalt, (yummy fish flavor) which is essentially for hairballs (which thankfully is not a problem with him) but may help the "flow" of things.

Another tip I got was to put another bowl of water down someplace in the house, in a different location. It would be like an impulse purchase for him. He'll see the water as he's traveling around the house, and hopefully stop for a drink, even if he didn't plan to!

The last thing we were going to try is giving him some pumpkin filling. At first, I didn't know why, but apparently its the FIBER that would help. Just like in people, I guess cats need fiber too! We're going to try Fibercon powder instead of pumpkin, and sprinkle some onto his wet food.

I've tried it (the fiber additive, not his food!) and it is tasteless (just like this post!) and more importantly it does not thicken, so maybe this will add to his fiber intake. Th

No comments: