Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Worlds BEST Cat Litter???

In a recent post, I pondered what the best cat litter was for my cat. I had a few things I was looking for in a litter, neatness being among the most important to me! Will it absorb, and minimize the amount that follows it out of the litter box on his feet!

Normally, I'm not drawn to "best" or "most awesome" kinds of product advertising, but I happened across a product called boastfully enough, the "Worlds Best Cat Litter". OK, you got me to look, but is there any substance to the claim? Let's see.

At first glance, this product seems to hit upon many of my ideals for a worthy cat litter. Hmmm. OK then, what makes this the "World's Best"? The packaging claims it is...
  • Scoopable
  • Clumpable
  • Flushable
  • Silica-dust free
  • Safe for kittens
  • Veterinarian recommended
  • all natural
  • earth friendly
  • biodegradable
Well, that's nice. They also claim that cat urine odor naturally bonds to corn stuff, so there is no need for fragrance or masking agents. In addition, if you cat wanted to taste some, it would likely not hurt him.

From the "stuff" standpoint, this cat litter looks promising! So, I bought an 8lb bag to let my cat perform various dump-tests on.

My impressions are initially very positive. Meow the cat seemed to enjoy scratching around in this corn-based stuff. It's kind of powder-like, and feels (to me) like powdered Ovaltine. It does leave a trace of dust on my hand and my cat's feet, but it isn't silica dust so that's acceptable.

One of the other differences between this and Yesterday's News, our current litter choice, it this does clump. It doesn't clump right away, but soon enough, and then because it is flushable (Y.N is not) I can just scoop, dump, and flush. I theory, if I can scoop out the pee clumps in addition to the cat turds, this litter will last longer than the Yesterday's news does. Y.N. kind of absorbs urine, but then dissolves into some stuff that can't really be removed until the box is changed.

So far, I like this. Is it "The World's Best Cat Litter"? I don't know, and I don't think I can possibly find out, but it is good. Aside from the dust that my cat can track out, it is all that it says it is.

Meow the cat seems to like it, and so we'll test it and post on it in a week or so.

No comments: