Sunday, April 15, 2007

Pet Food Recall - another update

This recall has really been big news for pet owners over the last few weeks. While the "official" number of deaths caused by the contaminated pet food remains low, the unofficial numbers coming from various sources are much higher. In addition, the list of recalled pet foods seems to grow longer each week.

These are some of the resources I have been using to get good information on the pet food recall situation.

ASPCA Pet Food Recall FAQ's

FDA Pet Food recall site

Menu Food's Recall site

I'm keeping a close eye on Meow, but thankfully I haven't fed him any of the recalled food except maybe one Neutro pouch. From what I have been reading, this is something that takes a little time, and one serving would not be enough to do any harm.

Personal rant...This whole situation has me pretty angry. I understand that companies turn to China to keep their costs down, but I don't see how Menu Foods is coming out ahead of the game financially as a result of this contamination from China. How is this going to benefit the company, the shareholders - anyone? What is the point? Seems to me that greed is firmly holding the top spot on Menu Foods priority list.

If they really cared, they would have done something to ENSURE that the ingredients used to make the food for our beloved pets was SAFE. They didn't. I'm sure the market, and the pet owners will see that Menu Foods has cut corners and in doing so cut their market share permanently.

No comments: